Sunday, June 20, 2010

Coupon Girl Solidarity

So, my trip to Wags last night was nearly a disaster...OK, that might be an exaggeration, but it wasn't great.  My first mistake was taking J with me.  He always wants to come, but then he doesn't have the patience to wait for me to finish my shopping.  Since it was the end of the week, I wasn't sure what they would have in stock.  I went in with 2 $6 RRs from the Nivea.  I wanted to do a Neutrogena Money Maker, but all the lower priced items were sold out.  I wandered around for awhile trying to figure out how to make a scenario, when I finally thought I figured one out.  I was able to figure a Neutrogena scenario with the $1.50/1 coupons I got from the Safeway coupon book I posted about HERE.  I bought 2 Neutrogena Deep Clean Scrubs and One Oil Free Acne Wash.  These were the cheapest items in the store.  They were on sale for $4.86 each, so $3.36 each after my coupon.  Total was $10.08, and then got a $10 RR.  So basically .08 cents for 3 cleansers.  I got 2 $1 candys as fillers because I had to use my 2 $6 RRs.  I planned on turning around and using my Neutrogena $10 RR to get
1 Schick Hydro - $7.99 - $4/1 MQ = $2.99
1 Nivea Men's Body Wash $5.99 - $3/1 MQ = $2.99
1 Gillette Pro Glide $9.89 - $4/1 MQ = $5.89
1 filler (butterfinger .39 cents)
Here is where it got funky.  This Gillete Pro Glide coupon keeps messing with my math ( I think it has something to do with the fact that the coupon is actually a $4/1 and I keep thinking it is a $5/1 because the RR is $5, and the Schick coupon is $5).  Somewhere along the way, I figured my scenario would be under $1 OOP - But after handing over all my coupons and RRs, I still owed $2 something OOP.  And I only had like $1.25.  At this point, the line had started to build, and I felt like a deer in the headlights.  I could not figure out why my total was so high, and I didn't know what to do.  About that time, the girl in line behind me started talking to me about coupon blogs.  She was a fellow coupon girl!  I asked the cashier to void my transaction, because for some reason I just couldn't get it together.  She was sooooo annoyed at me, but called over a second person to open another cash register as there was quite a line building up (and this was like 9pm on a Friday night, who are these people?)  I apologized to the general public around me, as I felt my cheeks flushing - talk about humiliating!  My coupon friend casually said "Been there, done that" and kept chatting away to me about various coupon related things.  After chatting with her for awhile, I decided to head home for the night.  I still couldn't figure out where I got so tripped up.  When I got home, I realized that I could have just removed an item and added a filler to keep my oop lower, and then made a second transaction to get the rest of my items.  I had planned on doing that today, but my work schedule didn't really allow me to get back to Wags.  And some time today I realized that the world would not end if I didn't get another Schick hydro for the rebate.  All I can say is Thank Goodness for coupon girl solidarity!  If that girl hadn't been there, I think I might have died of embarrassment.
Anyway, here is what I DID end up with.  Luckily, I really like the Neutrogena face wash, so I don't feel like I threw away a bunch of RRs.  I did loose 2, but really didn't do that bad.  Oh, I almost forgot that I did find the Scotch Desk Grip Pop Up Tape on Clearance for $1.09.  I used a $1/1 Printable to make it only .09 Cents! (coupon no longer available, but there is a .75/1 HERE!  Please remember that clearance varies greatly from store to store, so this may or may not be available in your area!)
Paid .16 cents OOP!

2 comments:

Heather said...

I would have been embarrassed too, but thank goodness that other girl was in the store! Sounds like you still did great! I love Neutrogena facial cleansers too!

NW Girl said...

Thanks! Yeah, I was so glad she was there, I was so embarrassed! But it all worked out, I went back to Wags today and had a good trip, so it all evens out. The things I go through for deals, I tell ya!